Monday, March 2, 2009

Snoop Dog derma US$1,000 pada Nation of Islam


Snoop Dogg appears at Nation of Islam convention

Malaysian Insider

ROSEMONT (Illinois), March 2. — Snoop Dogg is among several rappers attending the Nation of Islam’s annual convention in a Chicago suburb.

Wearing sunglasses, a dark suit and a tie, Snoop spoke briefly in front of thousands on Sunday and praised the Chicago-based movement’s Minister Louis Farrakhan.

"When you get a speech from Minister Farrakhan it's about a mirror, it's about looking at yourself," the rapper later told The Associated Press. "It's about seeing yourself and what you can do to better the situation ... We're doing a lot of wrongs among ourselves that need correcting."

When asked by the AP if he planned to convert and become a member of the Chicago-based Nation of Islam, Snoop said he already is.

"I'm already in the Nation, that's why I'm here," he said. "I'm an advocate for peace. I've been in the peace movement ever since I've been making music. My whole thing is not about really trying to push my thing on you. It's just about the way I live, and I live how I'm supposed to live as far as doing what's right and representing what's right. That's why I was here today."

The rapper did not elaborate on when he'd joined the Nation. Messages left for Nation of Islam officials were not immediately returned Sunday.

During the speech Sunday, Snoop sat on stage behind Farrakhan clapping and nodding.

Farrakhan has long held relationships with rappers and hip-hop artists. Snoop, whose real name is Calvin Broadus, called himself the leader of the “hip-hop community” and says he’ll always seek out the minister.

Snoop gave a US$1,000 (RM3,600) donation to the Nation of Islam, then sat on stage as Farrakhan spoke for more than three hours. Rapper Doug E. Fresh also attended but didn’t speak publicly.

Rapper T.I., whose real name is Clifford Harris, appeared via recorded video. He told followers that education is the key to success. — A

No comments:

Post a Comment